A. BA Degree in Ethiopian Languages and Literature – Amharic (ELAm)
GENERAL OBJECTIVES - BA
The general objectives of the new BA program in Ethiopian Languages and Literature - Amharic are:
Training writers and critics, editors, translators, public relations officers, etc.
Training researchers in the fields of language, literature and human concerns, and
Conducting research on the various languages and literatures of Ethiopia
- To produce trained personnel who will participate in the area of writing and literary culture;
- To train literary critics and editors;
- To produce translators from other languages into Amharic and vice versa;
- To train researchers in the field of literature and human concerns;
B. Master Of Arts Degree in Applied Linguistics in Teaching Amharic(TeAm)
- To produce Amharic language teachers for universities, colleges, Teacher Training Institutes, and high schools.
- To produce personnel who carry out research in the methodological and pedagogical aspects of Amharic language teaching.
- To produce competent personnel who will be engaged in preparing language-teaching materials and in designing curricula.
- To train personnel who can give consultancy about first language education.
C. Pan African Master of Arts Degree in African Languages and Applied linguistics (ALAL)
The M.A. program in African Languages and Applied Linguistics has the general objective of producing highly qualified language professionals, educators, applied linguists and other practitioners to become specialized in African languages and the application of relevant linguistic theory in the resolution of the issues and challenges that arise in the implementation of status, corpus and acquisition planning connected with the intellectualization project.
The curriculum for the M.A. program in African Languages and Applied Linguistics is designed to serve as a means of achieving the following specific objectives of producing:
- qualified researchers who can promote mother-tongue based bi-lingual education;
- qualified researchers in African languages and applied linguistics that can assist the on-going development endeavors of the country by way of proposing research findings for designing development policies and programs with special focus on mother tongue education;
- qualified teachers of courses related to African languages and applied linguistics in colleges and universities;
- professional designers of curricula and syllable, and writers of teaching/literacy materials in African languages;
- African language professionals who can provide consultancy services on language education and literacy;
- semi-professional translators and interpreters who can knowledgeably facilitate the internalization of indigenous knowledge systems and the localization of imported scientific knowledge; semi-professional lexicographers and terminologists who can prepare mono-lingual and bi-lingual dictionaries in African languages.
D. PHD degree in Applied Linguistics in Teaching Ethiopian Languages (ALEL)
The ultimate objective of the PhD program is to train competent professions in the area of language development and language teaching. More specifically, the PhD program in applied Linguistics in Teaching Ethiopian Languages intends to:
The well-trained professional in applied Linguistics in Teaching Ethiopian Languages should be able to solve the various problems and challenges in connection with the national effort to promote the various indigenous Ethiopian Languages.