Eligibility for residential and catering service will be according to the priorities set by other Higher Education Policies or University rules.
· Disabled students and students with approved medical certificate are priority No-1
· Female students from outside of Addis Ababa - No-2
· Male students from outside of Addis Ababa -No-3
· Female students from suburbs of Addis Ababa are priority No-4 (if spaces are available)
· Male students from suburbs of Addis Ababa are priority No-5 (if spaces are available)
· Female needy students from Addis Ababa are priority No-6(if spaces are available)
· Male needy students from Addis Ababa are priority No-7(if spaces are available)
· Any students from Addis Ababa are priority No-8(if spaces are available and according to the physical distance of the student’s permanent residence)
2. Allocation and use of dorms and cafeteria
· For newly assigned students, dorms and cafeterias are allocated prior to the arrival of students/based on the data of MoE/.
· For active students -To arrange prior allocation, of dormitory and catering services active students should choose and fill the type of services they want to receive for the next academic year at the end of every second semester before leaving for summer vacation.
· Room assignment will be renewed and guaranteed every semester.
· Every student shall have a meal card which is renewed every semester.
· There will be an attempt to mix students as far as possible to give students the opportunity of experiencing different cultures and approaches to life.
· Where there is a substantial age difference (increases incrementally with age) students will not be placed in the same accommodation.
3. Catering Service Management The University will prepare uniform daily menu in all campuses
· Meals shall be served at time shown on notice boards
· Student representatives shall have the right to ensure and control the quality and proper utilization of students’ meal
· Students’ meal shall be assessed to ensure quality assurance
· Menu of the students should be revised every academic year
· Every student should dress in a neat and decent manner when entering to the dining hall
· No student is allowed to bring cooked meal to resident room except sick serving dish
· In one academic year, for each religions, for two holidays special (holiday) meals are prepared
· During public holidays, all dining halls are decorated by office of Director of Student Service, or catering office, or Student Union
4. Residence management
· Residential proctors shall be selected from the students by the office of the Director of Student Service
· Building manager shall be assigned from the Director of Student Service office
· Resident buildings provide a 24 hours service
· Every residential building has one building master and three proctors
· As much as possible all important formats and addresses will be available in each resident room
· Adequate common space will be provided for the development of social interaction. These spaces should be appropriately equipped with sufficient furnishings, television, and furniture like chairs, benches etc…
· A minimum of two formal surveys will be conducted every semester to assess student’s satisfaction with the residential environment
· Smoking and drug abuse is strictly forbidden in and around resident rooms
· Room changes are made only under exceptional circumstances and approved by the residence administrator(s)
· Residents are encouraged to contact the staffs of the residence administration section for support and advice at any stage in appealing a disciplinary decision, fine, sanction, service delivery, or contractual concern
5. Television Services
· The Director of Student Service arranges a 24 hours communal television services to each resident building
· TV services with multichannel are provided at no additional cost to the students
· Every student in a given room will have her/his own key
· Lost or stolen keys should be immediately reported to respective proctors of the building or the campus police
7. Lost & Found
· The University does not take responsibility for personal items that are abandoned, lost, misplaced, or stolen from within the housing communities.
· Students are advised to inform proctors or campus police when they lose or find any property.
8. Room Entry
· Authorized University personnel may enter a student’s room at any time
· Property can be seized and removed from a resident’s room if it constitutes an imminent danger or disruption to the resident or others, when the property is University owned, when state law or University policy is being violated, or when the property is unauthorized
· There will be periodic checks in to the conduct of occupancy of the halls. The students may or may not be notified about the coming inspection depending on the nature of the inspection
9. Mail service
The Director of Student Service in consultation with the Ethiopian Postal Agency avails postal services for students in every campuses of the University through branch Post offices.
10. Sick serving dishes
Students who get sick and unable to go to the cafeteria, a sick serving dish/ meals may be picked up by the roommate, by acquiring a sick form from the university health center.
11. Special Diets
Special diet for medical reasons may be served in consultation with the health center on the appropriateness of the service.
12. Meals requested for educational trips
· Only a single day meal will be prepared for educational trip which lasts for one day. If the trip is more than one day, the students have the right to receive the equivalence of their meal either in-kind (the raw food) or in cash based on the individual student per day meal budget
· No meal service shall be arranged for group of students less than 10
13. Room cleanness
· Every student should dress in a neat and decent manner in rooms where s/he lives.
· Dormitory residents are supposed to keep and clean their personal hygiene and rooms. Moreover, they should help keep all dormitory property in good condition.
14. Visits by outsiders in rooms of residence
· Visits into rooms of residence by people other than fellow students or without the recognition of the Director of Students Service are not allowed.
· No visit shall be permitted after 11:00 local time (5:00 pm) in special case if visitors are permitted, it must be before 5:00pm.
· Till the University facilities (particularly dormitory spaces) are arranged or improved no male shall enter to female students’ dormitory and vice-versa
15. Drug abuse (use) and Alcohol use
· Under no circumstances the Director of Students Service allow any alcoholic beverage and any type of drug abuse, distribution in any of its campuses, around dormitories and dining areas or in rooms.
16. It is the responsibility and interest of the University to engage in the prevention and control of drug abuse, as well as in helping student with drug abuse problems.
17. Smoking in and around room
· The University shall be a smoke free campus except for officially posted and designated smoking areas.
· This policy applies equally to all university staff, students, all third party workers and visitors of student’s dormitory and dining halls.
· Smoking is prohibited inside residence rooms, corridors, toilets, bathrooms, TV rooms, wash places and around dormitory and dining halls
18. Illegal occupation of rooms
Illegal occupation of a room whether or not the room is occupied is strictly forbidden.
19. Reporting of violation, damage or loss of property
Every on-campus student should report violation of contract terms by fellow students, and damage or loss of property incurred in the rooms or dormitory buildings
· Residential proctors shall organize different in house activities and events in accordance with other residential and University laws
· Building managers shall organize inter-building activities and events