The graduates of the Sociology BA Program from Addis Ababa University acquire wide-ranging conceptual, pragmatic, methodological and civic competencies that shall prepare them to undertake the following:
1. To understand, critically appraise and discuss various social science theories and perspectives that inform our interpretation of social processes and institutions
2. To develop and undertake sociological research projects, while being capable of documenting, writing up and critically assessing empirical findings;
3. To embark on multidisciplinary and thematic research projects; this will broaden our understanding of social processes but from various vantage points and perspectives;
4. To promote dispassionate, informed and civil discourse within local communities, Ethiopia and the world beyond;
5. To apply sociological perspectives to community and organizational problems;
6. To serve as change agents by ensuring active participation and effective teamwork amongst community members and by applying sociological knowledge and practice.
7. To influence national policy making and implementation exercises at different tiers of government administration encompassing the local, regional and federal levels.
8. To advocate on behalf of disadvantaged groups, including herders, minorities, the poor, the handicapped, the dislocated, famine victims, women, children, etc., who require a culture sensitive and compassionate understanding to their causes;
9. To function effectively in positions like socioeconomic planning, rural and urban development, technology transfer, health and social service delivery, relief provision, labor relations, culture office, teaching, etc., where sociological perspectives and methods are in high demand.